Me and my parents keep on sending each other packages of German/Romanian goodies and with each packages come surprises. Besides lots of emotional cries, the last package came with Walnuts (Nuci), a meticulous Romanian dessert that is pretty much a must for every festive occasion.
You’ll need a special baking mold for this, in a walnut shape. If you don’t have it, you can easily find it here.
Anyways, let’s get back to what we need for this recipe:
For the dough:
- 1 cup lard
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pack margarine
- 3 eggs
- 1 bag of baking soda
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 90 gr. flour
For the filling:
- 4 cups walnuts
- 1 jar apricot jam
- powder sugar
For the dough:
- in a big bowl add the lard, sugar, margarine, eggs and salt;
- in a cup/bowl add the baking powder with the vinegar and allow to react;
- add the mixture to the wet ingredients;
- mix everything together up until you get a smooth paste;
- add gradually the flour until you get a smooth dough, not too firm;
For the filling: grind the walnuts, add them to a bowl and add enough jam to incorporate the mixture;
Baking: grease the nut maker on both sides and small sized balls of dough in it (aprox. the size of a cherry, maybe a bit bigger depending on your form) and allow it to cook on the stove at low heat on both sides of the form.
- Transfer the halves on a table and once cooled add a generous amount of filling in all of them;
- united them and dust them in powder sugar;
And that’s pretty much it.
Until the next one,