Since we’re on a we’re-eating-healthy(ier)-from-now-on kind of thing I came up with this lovely and easy salad, made up pretty much from roasted seasonal veggies and a little bit of protein. This is a vegetarian recipe, but by all means you can turn it vegan by either skipping the egg and the cheese entirely or by replacing them with some cooked beans or lentils.
As I mentioned, the recipe is pretty easy, it has roasted peppers, pan roasted broccoli and asparagus, sun dried tomatoes, quail eggs and some feta cheese.
Luckily enough, my mum sent me this amazing organic roasted bell peppers, straight from my grandma’s garden, preserved by her so I didn’t have to worry about that but if you don’t have a mum like I do, take any iron cast or heavy bottomed pan you have, throw in some whole Kapia Peppers (they are the long red ones, that look like giant chillies, easily to be found at any Turkish supermarket) and roast them at a medium high heat until they are cooked through and the skin is burnt.
Once they’re done, add them to a pan with a lid on and allow them to steam for 10-15 min. Remove the lid and start peeling the skin off the pepper along with the seeds.
From this point you can just add a crushed garlic on some oil and vinegar and you got yourself a salad on its own. Pair it with some freshly baked bread and you’re all set.
But we’re not at that recipe yet so for this one you’ll need:
- roasted pepper
- some broccoli florets
- fresh asparagus
- sun dried tomatoes
- quail eggs
- feta cheese
- chilli flakes
- 1 clove of garlic
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- in a frying pan, roast the broccoli and asparagus with a little bit of salt and pepper;
- in a small pot add some water and bring it to a boil;
- in a bowl, add the roasted bell pepper and the sundried tomatoes;
- once the water is boiling gently add the quail eggs in and boil it for 2.5 min (soft boiled) or 4 minutes for hard boiled;
- add the cooked broccoli and asparagus to the bowl;
- smash the garlic clove and add it in;
- add the olive oil, lemon juice, salt pepper and chilli flakes to taste;
- mix everything together and top it with the eggs and feta cheese.
Best enjoyed with freshly baked warm bread but some other bread should work just as fine.