Another no brainer, people pleaser. Add some on top of your tortilla chips, top it with cheese and you get the mexican version of fasole prajita cu mamaliga si branza.
And if you’re wondering, we Romanians as cool as we were before anyone else, we have our own refried beans recipe that we call fried beans, Fasole prajita and we pair with mamaliga and pickles.
So little did I know that by putting this refried beans on top of some tortilla chips and pop it in the oven it will bring me back childhood memories.
But with no further due, you’ll need:
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 – 1/2 cups of cooked beans
- some of the liquid the beans have been cooked, if not chicken stock
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- pinch of cumin
- pinch of cayenne
- salt, pepper
- fresh thyme
- fresh queso blanco
- heat up a cast iron skillet, add some oil to it, the chopped onions and fry them up until golden brown;
- add the garlic in;
- add the beans, stir;
- with the help of a spatula or a potato masher, smash some of the beans in the frying pan until your desired consistency;
- start adding little by little the cooking liquid or the chicken stock to the pan, like you’re doing a risotto and stir;
- add enough liquid according to your preferences – some people might like a more pasty texture while other want it thinner; in any case if you wanna top this on tortilla chips, make it thinner.
- once you’re done, add some fresh tyme and queso blanco and stir;
For the Romanian recipe:
- in a pot, repeat steps 1-3, add all of the liquid at once up until the beans are covered, let it simmer and reduce, add the tyme, skip the cheese;
- make mamaliga (1 part corn flour, 3 parts water, salt), take some pickles out and enjoy!
For the nachos dish:
- in an oven proof dish add some tortilla chips, add some of the refried beans, top it with some shredded cheddar cheese and put it in the oven at 220° C until the cheese starts melting and bubbling;
- enjoy them with some pickles, guac, salsa and sour cream.
If you want a vegan variation of this skip the cheese or add some vegan cheese to it and enjoy it!