Gotta admit, me and oats was a tedious love. Me, a true Romanian that I am, couldn’t eat anything but eggs for breakfast and I still do sometimes. Not sure how many of you travelled to Romania but we do love eggs. They are that food staple that doesn’t ever miss from one’s fridge. And we love them so much we buy them in big packs, 40 eggs per pack or more.
So yeah, me changing to oats for breakfast, to sweet from savory, to creamy delicious eggs to a sweet mess was tedious. But I got accustomed to it, eventually and only recently I have perfected my oats recipe. Which I’m gonna share it with you now!
The key ingredient here that makes all of the difference is adding a tsp of sugar while you cook the oats. GAME CHANGER. Oh, and peanut butter. Peanut butter is purely amazing in oats. Or any other nut butter you have.
But again and with no further due, you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsps coconut sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- handful of frozen berries
- 3 tsp honey
- add the oats, water and milk to a sauce pan and set it on high;
- when it starts bubbling add the sugar and cinnamon in, stir well and reduce to medium-high;
- cook until thickened and creamy, stirring occasionally so it won’t burn the bottom of the pot;
- transfer the oats to a bowl, add a tbsp of peanut butter in, a handful of frozen berries next to it and drizzle with honey;
- mix everything and enjoy!
The beauty in this recipe is that the frozen berries will cool down your oats perfectly to eat while they will get perfectly warm too and the peanut butter adds that rich creaminess to the bowl that just makes one crave it more. Oh, and also the mix of water and milk will give you a lighter version of the oats!
So that would be it. Let me know if you try it!